Through our partnership with experts, customers, and end users, we are driving sustainable product innovation across all product speciality areas to maximise infection prevention whilst protecting our planet.
Whilst providing solutions that prevent infection, we also ensure that our brands promote a sustainable advantage for healthcare facilities around the world.
Reducing plastic products and packaging
Some plastic in healthcare is simply unavoidable due to its inherent characteristics, but that isn’t stopping us from continuously working with industry experts to develop innovative sustainable solutions.
- Vernacare Medical Pulp is made from recycled cellulose fibres, and all products are 100% biodegradable
- Our flushable and maceratable wipes are manufactured from cellulose plant-based fibres, which provide a more environmentally friendly alternative, whilst ensuring safe and hygienic disposal in a macerator or toilet
- We are working towards the inclusion of recycled plastic content across all Conti® packaging formats
- Sharpsafe® - reduced virgin plastics in manufacturing throughout the range. All accessories are made from 100% recycled materials
- Clinisafe® cardboard waste containers use 70% recycled material
Making single-use sustainable
Single-use products are crucial to successfully preventing infections in healthcare environments.
Solutions to help protect humanity are essential, but we work to ensure that the Vernacare portfolio and its brands also provide a sustainable advantage for the healthcare sector.
The Medicines & Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) states that to reuse a single-use device without considering the consequences could expose patients and staff to risks which outweigh the perceived benefits of using the devices.
Reference: MHRA Single-Use Medical Devices: Implications & Consequences of Reuse - January 2021.
Vernacare adheres to the UK WEEE regulations, which require us to:
Minimise waste arising from their electrical and electronic equipment (EEE) products and promote their reuse
Ensure the waste products are treated correctly and meet recovery and recycling targets for the waste materials
Design products by reducing material use and enhancing reusability and recyclability
Discover more about our WEEE compliance.
Find out more about Vernacare
Want to learn more about us?
Discover more about our diverse history, values, training opportunities and partnerships.